Monday, December 01, 2008

Yesterday, I sat on my butt and knit all day. It was fan-freaking-tastic. Here is my "manly hat, take 2". I think it's more manly - hope Ric agrees!



I started another of the Yarn Harlot's one row handspun scarf - with some AMAZING 100% alpaca yarn from Larkspur Funny Farm. Her fiber, and yarn, are TO. DIE. FOR, and I seriously recommend checking out her etsy site and her cool farm blog. I prefer to work with handspun, and when I can't, amazing millspun from small family farms is nearly as luscious!!!



My sister requested a "neutral colored" scarf for her niece. I'm not sure if this fits the bill, but it was fun, and turned out really well. I went through my stash and found yarn in colors that i thought went well together - in this case, it was a combo of tans, browns, greens and blues. It doesn't mater the size of yarn - this is in all gauges, including several sock yarns, and some thick silk noil. I cast on 100 stitches on a size 13 circular needle, leaving long "tails" at each end. At the end of each row, I broke the yarn, again leaving long "tails" - these become the fringe. Next row, I chose a different combination of yarns, and knit all the way to the end. I doubled or even tripled the yarns, sometimes - I was just going for a variety of colors, textures, and thicknesses in each row. I knit about 20 rows, tying the ends in knots every 4-5 rows or so. Cast off loosely, and you're done. it took me under 2 hours, I used up some funky little bits of leftover yarn, and am really pleased with the results.

So much so, that I did it again! This is a much brighter and wilder version, and is destined as a gift for a very "colorful" friend of mine! This one is a blend of ribbon yarn, eyelash yarn, some chenille from a recycled sweater, some sari silk yarn, a bit of handspun, some silk...you name it, it's in there. Texture and color!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger BlueGate said...

Yep, the new manly hat definitely fits the bill. The new scarves are fabulous!! They will all be huge hits with their respective recipients. I bet you could sell a bunch of those scarves at market/shop/etsy.

1:06 PM  
Blogger girlwithasword said...

I think i could too - just have to find time to knit them up. you know how it is! :)

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home