Saturday, December 13, 2008


I'm starting to feel human again. FINALLY. but, sitting on one's butt for 3 days does help get alot of holiday knitting done. I made some wristwarmers for a friend, which I failed to get a picture of before I sent them off. I made the London Beanie shown above, for my 18 year old nephew, but I love it and think I now need to knit one for myself. I used the 100% alpaca from knitpicks, I think it is called andean treasure? anyway, I love that stuff, it is so soft. I used mostly charcoal grey with just scrappy bits of other colors for the stripes.


I made another one for my 7 year old nephew, and also a pair of fingerless gloves. They are orange and blue, because that is what he asked for, and acrylic, because he loves mud!!!

In food news: Winter must officially be here. We have moved to the days of soup.

I love soup. I will happily make a big pot of soup and eat it for 4 or 5 days. Call me simple!

Minestrone, vegetable, tomato, roasted veggie, bean - so many choices! And with a few staples, and a crock pot, I can cook oodles of soup from what is in my freezer and pantry.

Today's soup:

- 1 bag roasted tomatoes, pulled from freezer.
- a couple of carrots from our csa - chopped
- an onion, chopped.
- many heads of garlic (we're sick, still - garlic is good for sick folks), chopped
- veggie broth, made from the peels/ends/innards of all the veggies I froze or used over the summer
- a big handful organic white beans from my local food coop
- sea salt, fresh black pepper, couple of bay leaves, loads of dried oregano, basil and sage from my garden

let simmer in crock pot until beans are soft. Yum.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Brawner said...

the hat and gloves are nice. I cant do without my fingerless gloves. I lve soup too. I am a simple person when it comes to what i can eat all the time. Soups and breads are just perfect. I have taken to replacing white taters with sweet taters (not the canned ones ) in alot of soups. really good. I plan to plant least 1/3 garden in sweet taters this year. Course that means i have to haul in more dirt :)

5:50 AM  
Blogger girlwithasword said...

'Cime, you are a gardening fool! I am learning to love sweet potatoes too. and winter squash. I have a recipe for roasted winter squash soup I really need to try. have you done that??

9:24 AM  
Blogger Bonne said...

Your nephews are going to love those knitties! The orange/blue set really turned out especially great. ;) B

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home