Wednesday, December 10, 2008


I am so sick. I am currently drinking a cup of Irish Whiskey Tea (recipe here), so I will be asleep shortly. I hate sinus infections. hate, hate, hate them.

Until the tea works it's magic, I'll just do a bit of blogging.

The only good thing about being sick is that I get to 1) watch lots of movies, and 2)knit alot. Both are good things. Just lots more enjoyable when you DON'T feel like your head is going to explode.

Anyway, I finished my one row handspun scarf, knit from this amazing yarn. I LOVE THIS YARN. It is so soft and wonderful!!!


Also finished yet an other Manly Hat - this one for my brother. It's made from 2 strands of Knitpicks "elegance" yarn, in Coal, held together. The yarn is lovely - a silk, alpaca blend. It should be super-warm. I hope my brother likes it!

In other news: A few weeks ago, we bought the "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes A Day" book, and have been experimenting with their basic bread recipe - just trying to get the perfect white bread. I think we finally did it! Last night's loaf was darn near perfect. I must say, I LOVE this technique. You make a wet dough, and store it in a bucket in the fridge. Then, when you want a loaf of bread, you simply whack off a chunk of dough, let it rise a bit while the oven pre-heats, then toss the bread in. You have hot fresh homemade yeast bread in under an hour. PERFECT. I want to eat really good, local, homemade food - but not spend hours and hours doing it. Now I want to start experimenting with adding more whole grains to the recipe.

My friend Jill showed me this site, with extra ideas for using this book- I will be checking it out for inspiration! The author of that book has a wonderful baking blog too, which I also enjoy checking out.

4 Comments:

Blogger Miss Effie said...

Maggie -- Ok -- that's a must have book.

The recipe is very similar to Mark Bittmans that I use. Except yours is easier yet... if that could be possible. I started out with splitting the flour - 1/2 white/ 1/2 wheat. And I toss in a little more yeast. I have yet to get a great all wheat bread.

If you do -- let me know the recipe.

Feel better ..... or drink more whiskey. Its kind of a vicious circle thing!!!

Clink

11:36 AM  
Blogger girlwithasword said...

Clink, I'll try your half and half recipe, that sounds pretty divine. :) I have some 7 grain flour that I really love too. I will let you know how it all goes. thank you for the suggestion!!

9:53 AM  
Blogger BlueGate said...

Maybe a glug of elderberry syrup with a whiskey chaser is in order??
I don't recommend knitting after that though : ) Feel better soon!

1:31 PM  
Blogger girlwithasword said...

one of my fellow knitters (and regular customers) and I have a term for that - KUI. knitting under the influence! We both have certain projects that must be put away when the wine comes out. hee hee.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home