Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Banana Chutney

So, Inspired by a $.99 bag of slightly overripe bananas, I concocted this Banana chutney, which is an amalgam of a couple of recipes I found online and in books, plus what I had on hand. I freely admit to not measuring things, but going by smell, taste, and feel, so, I have done my best to approximate amounts here, but as always adjust to your tastes.

Banana Chutney
1 bag slightly overripe bananas, cut into bite sized pieces
1 good handful raisins (3/4 cup?)
1 good handful dried cranberries (3/4 cup?)
1 large purple onion, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, minced
2 small jalepenos, finely chopped, seeds left in
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped crystallized ginger
1 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. powdered ginger

Combine all ingredients in a large pot, and bring to simmer. Let simmer until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Taste and adjust ingredients. Ladle into 8 oz jars, seal, and process for 10 minutes. YUM!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home