Monday, July 07, 2008

So, we had some leftover wool and silk that we had soaked, but not dyed yesterday. Today is about 90 degrees and blazing hot, so i decided to try a little solar dyeing. i used 2 big black canning pots. The left one has some grey wool, the right one has white wool and some silk spinning hankies. I put some hot water and a splash of vinegar in each pot.

Next i added some jacquard acid dyes - chestnut, burgundy, aztec gold and spruce in the left pot. Salmon, bright yellow, hot pink and some vermillion in the right. i shook the pots a little just to get the color slightly dispersed.

Next i raded my basement for a few big boxes, and my kitchen for a big roll of aluminum foil and some double-sided tape, to make a sorta really sad white trash/ghetto solar oven. I had help, as you can see.
Then i put the lids on each pot, and wrapped them each in a plastic garbage bag.

Then i hauled the boxes and plastic-wrapped pots out onto my hot hot hot driveway, in the hot hot hot sun. (No worries - the neighbors already think i am insane. this should not alarm them too much more). I guess I'll let them sit for a day or two and see what happens!

Labels: ,


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home